Detailed explanations in West Bengal Board Class 8 Science Book Solutions Chapter 11 Plant Kingdom and the Environment Around Us offer valuable context and analysis.
WBBSE Class 8 Science Chapter 11 Question Answer – Plant Kingdom and the Environment Around Us
Multiple Choice Questions & Answers : (1 mark for each question)
Every year each water hyacinth produces seeds —
i) less than five hundred
ii) less than thousand
iii) more than thousand
iv) less than hundred
iii) more than thousand
Now-a-days bamboo fabrics are used for making —
Resin derived from sal tree are used for making —
i) shoe polish
Now laws are framed to protect —
i) Sal plant CL
ii) Sundari plant
iii) Bamboo plant
iv) water Hyacinth
ii) Sundari plant
We get cinnamon from —
i) bark of tree
ii) fruits of tree
iii) flower of tree
iv) seeds of tree
i) bark of tree
Black peeper is used in —
iv) liver diseases
Curcumin is found in —
Ginger is useful in —
i) gum problem
ii) stomach upset
iv) pain in gum
ii) stomach upset
A compound called Alicin is rerived from —
State whether True or False : (1 mark for each question)
1. Bamboo is one of the lowest growing tree of the world.
2. Different bamboo-made utensils are used for the purpose of cooking.
3. Water hyacinth is a good source of biogas as it contains high amount of oxygen.
4. Sal is a type of coniferous tree.
5. The fruit of Sundri plant is egg-like but is slightly elongated.
6. Spices were used to preserve meat.
7. Ginger and Turmeric are fruits of plant.
8. Saffron is floral part of plant.
9. Cinnamon is prepared by drying leaf of the cinnamon tree.
10. Turmeric is also used to dye different foods and medicines.
Fill in the blanks : (1 mark for each question)
1. Plants are sources of ………….. as well as ………….. for animals also.
2. ………….. is one of the fastest growing tree of the world.
3. The major food of Gorillas of Africa is …………..
4. ………….. an importanit medicine is derived from inter mode of bamboo species namely
5. ………….. mosquitoes propagate in the densely grown water hyacinth plants.
6. ………….. derived from bank of Sal are used in leather industry.
7. Sundri trees grow in sweet water of saline areas of ……………
8. Apart from enhancing the taste of food spices are also used as ………….
9. Clove contains a chemical substance called ………….. which has anti-bacterial properties.
10. In different countries of the world almost …………. types of spices are cultivated.
11. Black pepper is a perenuial …………..
12. ………….. is responsible for the hot taste of black pepper.
13. Cinnamon is prepared by drying the ………….. of the cinnamon tree.
14. ………….. is a peremial herb.
15. A compound, called ………….. is found in turmeric.
16. Seeds of greater cardamom alleviates …………..
17. Each bulb of garle is termed as ………….. of garlic.
18. Garlic contains a compound called ……………
19. At present around species of medicinal plants are found in our country.
20. Juice of neem leaves is very useful for……………
21. Bael fruit contains ………….. and ………….., which is a panacea for constipation.
22. Emblica fruit contains huge amount of ……………
23. ………….. leaves are useful in bleeding haemorrhoids and wasp sting.
24. Mint sherbat is a useful digestive for ………….. troubles.
25. Extract of aloevera leaves is used to reduce ………….. and …………..
1) shelter, food
4) Tabashir. Bambusa arundinacea.
13) inner, bark
21) mucilage, pectin
22) Vitamin C
25) mental stress, tension.
Match the column A with column B.
|Column A||Column B|
|a) Neem oil is used for
b) Unripe bael increases
c) Catharanthus leaf is a good nedicine
d) Extract of aloevera leaves is used
e) Garlic is effective in
f) Cardamom is used in preparing
g) Turmeric has the ability
h) Cinnamon has its own
|i) for diabetes
ii) various problem of heart
iii) different sweet dishes
iv) to kill bacteria
v) sweet aroma and taste
vi) pain in ear
vii) appetite and digestive power
viii) in constipation
a) Neem oil is used for pain in ear.
b) Unripe bael increases appetite and digestive power.
c) Catharanthus leaf is a good nedicine fordiabetes.
d) Extract of aloevera leaves is used in constipation.
e) Garlic is effective in various problem of heart.
f) Cardamom is used in preparing different sweet dishes.
g) Turmeric has the ability to kill bacteria.
h) Cinnamon has its own sweet aroma and taste.
Very Short Questions & Answers : (1 mark for each question)
Name one of the fastest growing tree of the world.
How is the stem of bamboo?
Stem are long pipe-like and with less branches.
What is the rate of growth in some species of bamboo plant?
100 cm in each 24 hour.
Name some endangered animals whose cheif food is different part of bamboo.
Giant panda of china, Red panda of Nepal and India and Lemur of Madagascar.
How hollow stems of bamboo are used in different places of South Africa.
For warming soups and as pot for cooking rice.
For how many years water hyacinth live?
For 24 years.
Name some countries where the stems of water hyacinth arc used for the purpose of embroidery and garment industries.
Philippines. Thailand and Vietnam.
How many years Sal take to mature.
25 to 30 years.
Name a plant in which stilt root is present.
How the fruit of Sundri plant look like?
The fruit of Sundri plant is egg like but is slightly elongated.
What is the colour of Sundri plant fruit?
Name a centre for rearing and conserving Sundri plant.
Name some places where Indian spices, perfumes and fine clothing materials travelled in past?
Mesopotemia, Arabia and Egypt.
What chemical substance present in clove has anti-bacterial properties?
Clove contains a chemical substance Eugenol, which has anti-bacterial properties.
Name some spices which arc seeds of plant.
Ajowan, Fennel, Coriander, Mustard, Poppy seeds. Aniseed.
Name a plant whose seed is used as spies.
Name some rhizomes used as spices.
Which part of plant is Asafoctida spice?
Name some leaves used as spices.
Cassia leaf (Tejpata), Mint.
Name some fruits of plant used as spices.
Black pepper, Cardamom, Chillies.
Name a kernel of plant used as spices.
What is the colour of Black pepper when it is unripe and after ripening?
Unripe fruits of Black pepper are green and become reddish in colour after ripening.
When Black pepper turns black?
The ripe fruit becomes black when they are dry.
What is the taste of Black pepper?
The taste of Black pepper is hot.
What is responsible for the hot taste of Black pepper?
Piperine is responsible for the hot taste of Black pepper.
How is cinnamon prepared?
Cinnamon is prepared by drying the inner bark of the cinnamon tree.
How many types of Cinnamon are there?
Two types – thick bark and thin bark.
What compound is found in turmeric?
How the presence of Curcumin compound in turmeric is helpful?
Due to its presence, turmeric has the ability to kill bacteria, viruses and fungi.
Why is Turmeric effective in anemia?
Turmeric is effective in anemia due to the presence of good amount of iron in turmeric.
How many types of Cardamom arc there?
Two types -greater cardamom and lesser cardamom.
What is the colour of dried greater cardamom and lesser cardamom?
Dry Greater cardamom is coppery in colour and dry lesser cardamom is light brown in colour.
Why fully ripe fruits of cardamom not selected for artificial drying?
Suice ripe fruits may burst while being dried.
Generally how Garam Masala is prepared?
Garam Masala is prepared by mixing clove, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, mace and nutmeg.
What arc grates of garlic?
A bulle of garlic consists of 6-30 small bulb-like parts. These are termed as grates of garlic.
Name the compound present in Garlic?
Alicin compound is present is Garlic.
Which veda describes the medicinal properties of different plants?
According to WHO what percent of population depend on traditional medicines for primary treatment?
How many species of medicinal plant is found only in Asia?
At present how many types of medicinal plant is present in our country?
How is Bael fruit helpful for constipation?
Bael fruit contains mucilage and pectin, which is a pancea for constipation.
What is Triphala?
Triphala is kind of ayurvedic medicine.
How many fruits are present in Triphala?
Three fruits – Emblica, Chebulic myrobalan (Haritaki) and Belleric myrobalan (Bahera) (without seed).
Name the alkaloid present in the root of Catharanthus (Nayantara) helpful in removing obstacles in blood circulation in brain?
Name two alkaloids present in Catharanthus helpful in treatment of Cancer?
Vincristine mid Vinblastine.
What aioevera leaves contain?
Aioevera leaves contains vitamins, minerals, amino acid and fatty acid.
Short Questions & Answers : (2 marks for each question)
In middle ages what was the utility of spices?
- There was no refrigerator in that age. So spices were used to preserve meat,
- Spices enhanced the taste of food.
Mention two medicinal properties of Bael fruit.
- Bael fruit contains mucilage and pectin, which is a panacea for constipation,
- Juice of bael fruit takes care of intestine of diarrhoea patients.
How do we get spices?
We get spices from different parts of plants. Such as — cinnamon from bark of tree, clove from buds, black peeper, cardamom from fruits, tejpata mint from leaves, ajowan aniseed fennel from seeds, nutmeg from kernel.
Write two medicinal value of ginger.
Ginger is useful in stomach upset, heartburn or problems related to gas, cough and asthma. Taking pieces of ginger with salt before eating specially in monsoon or winter season, increases appetite.
How black peeper looks like?
Its unripe fruits are green and become reddish in colour after ripening. The ripe fruit becomes black when they are dry.
What is the medicinal value of bamboo?
Tabashir, an important medicine for asthma, cold and cough and many infestious disease <s made from silicon dioxide and silicic acid. These are derived from intermode of bamboo spscies namely Bambusa arundinacea.
Can water hyacinth be used in industries?
The items of witter hyacinth are used for the purpose of embroidery and as a source of fibres for garnish dustries in many countries of the world. Fibres of it are being used in paper manufacturing.
Mention two uses of emblica.
- Emblica works well in nausea and constipstion.
- Emblica is effective in prevention of anemia and cancer.
Long Questions & Answers : (3 marks for each question)
How are plants useful to us?
- Animals utilise oxygen, exhaated by plants, for their respiration.
- Plants serve as a source of shelter as well as food for animals.
- Plants reduce the extent of pollution by absorbing pollutants.
- Plants impart different roles for controlling temperature, rainfall, wind velocity.
- Different parts of plants are being used as raw materials for different industries.
- Parts of some plants or even the whole plant body are used as manure.
Mention any four uses of bamboo plant?
- The young stem, basal part of stem and leaves of bamboo plants are chief foods of many critically endangered animals of world.
- Different delicious dishes are being prepared at different countries of Asia using soft young stems coming out from the base of bamboo.
- In India bamboo is used for manufacturing paper, baskets, handle of umbrella, flower vase, tray, flutes, different types of toys and for interior decoration of rooms.
- Tabashir, an important medicine for asthma, cold and cough and many infectious diseases is made from silicon dioxide and silisic acid derived from internode of bamboo species namely Bambusa arundinacea.
Write three uses of water Hyacinth.
- Water hyacinth is a good source of biogas as it contains high amount of nitrogen.
- Abater hyacinth is a tolerant species of plant. It can purify polluted dirty water by absorbing
heavy metals like Cadmium, Chromium, Cobalt, Nickel, Lead and Mercury. As a result water become pollutant free and become suitable for us for different purposes.
- The demand for water hyacinth as fodder is increasing day by day as it contains high amount of protein or nitrogen.
Write three different uses of Sal plant.
- Sal tree are of greater use in making poles, furniture, frame of doors and windows, floor of boats, jetty of the ship and foot bridge over rivers.
- From the gum of Sal tree red resius with fragrance are derived. These resins are used for
For what purposes we use spices?
- To bring taste to bland food items.
- Use it as preservative (in pickles, Chutneys etc).
- Helps in digestion by increasing salivation.
- Helps keeping the mouth-cavity germ-free.
Write two uses of Black pepper and Cinnamon.
Uses of Black pepper —
- Black pepper is used in cough, toothache, bleeding from the gum pain in gum and indigestion.
- Black pepper is used as preservative for meat and other perishable food items.
Uses of Cinnamon —
- Cinnamon is used in small pieces or in powdered form in cooking.
- In diarrhoea, nausea, vomitting and for cold, cinnamon is useful.
Write three medicinal uses of turmeric.
- Turmeric helps in keeping the liver health
- Turmeric is effective in anemia due to the presence of good amount of iron in turmeric.
- Due to the presence of Curewntn compound in turmeric, it has the ability to kill bacteria, viruses fungi.
How is Cardamom useful to us?
- Cardamom has its use in stomach related problems.
- Cardamom is taken with bital leaf and also as a mouth freshner.
- Greater cardamom strengthens gum.
- Seeds of greater cardamom alleviates nausea.
Mention some uses of Garlic.
- Alicin compound in Garlic has anitmicrobial properties.
- Garlic helps to alleviate gas related problem.
- Garlic helps in food digestion, by stimulating the stomach.
- it is effective in various problems of heart and blood vessels.
How the different parts of neein tree like — Steam, leaves, root etc are important to us?
- Juice of neem leaves is very useful for diabetes,
- Neem seed has its use in viral epidemic and arthritis.
- Neem oil extracted from leaves and stem is used for pain in ear, as well as gum and toothache. It is also used to maintain the health of hair, to increase the working capacity of the liver and as a blood cleanser.
- The bitter tonic prepard from the bark of root and stem is useful in breaking the periodic sequence of fevers (like malaria). It has its use also in skin diseases.
Write medicinal properties of Embiica fruit.
Embiica fruit contains huge amount of Vitamin C. Embiica fruit is useful in the swelling of gum. Dry empirical fruit is capable to stop stomach upset, hemorrhage and dysentery. Embiica works well in nausea and constipation. It is effective in prevention of anemia and cancer.
What is Triphala? How is it useful?
Triphala is a kind of ayurvedic medicine. Triphala contains three fruits Embiica (Amtaki), Chebulic myrobalan (Haritaki) and Belleric myrobalan (Bahera) (without seed). Powdered triphala is used as purgative which helps to clean the alimentary canei. Triphala is used as a blood-cleanser. Triphala contains Vitamin C. for this reason triphala is used as supplementary food.
How are alkaloids present in Catharanthus useful?
An alkaloid called Raubasine is present is the root of this plant and it helps to remove obstacles in blood circulation in the brain. Vineristine and Vinblastine two alkaloids present in Catharanthus are presently used to treat blood cancer and certain other types of cancer. These two aikoioids are also effective in restraining tumour growth.
Write two medicinal properties of Mint (Pudina) and Aloevera.
Mint (Pudina) —
- Mint is useful in flatulence, indigestion, loose stool of infants and bad breath.
- Mint is useful in cough, loss of appetite and inflammation of stomach.
- Extract of aloevera leaves is used to reduce excess of acidity, tendency of blood to become thick, stress due to pollution and inflammation of bone joints.
- Extract of aloevera is used in fever to reduce temperature as it contains an anti-pyretic component.