Detailed explanations in West Bengal Board Class 8 Geography Book Solutions Chapter 10 South America offer valuable context and analysis.
WBBSE Class 8 Geography Chapter 10 Question Answer – South America
Multiple Choice Questions & Answers : (1 mark for each question)
First highest active volcano on earth-
ii) Mt. Chimborazo
ii) Mt. Chimborazo
Main river of South America-
The combined channels of Panama, Paraguay and Uruguay is called-
The length of Amazon river is –
i) 2150 km
ii) 2400 km
iii) 6437 km
iv) 3520 km
iii) 6437 km
The size of Amazon basin –
i) 70,50,000 sq km
ii) 70,00,000 sq km
iii) 50,00,000 sq km
i) 70,50,000 sq km
The number of tributaries of Amazon-
ij) more than 1000
iii) less than 1000
ii) more than 1000
60% of Solwa forest is loented in-
In tropical rainforest live-
() anaconda snake
ii) tarantula spider
iii) vampire bats
iv) all are true
iv) all are true
The word ‘Pampas’ means-
i) extensive grassland
ii) extensive plainland
iii) extensive highland
iv) extensive lowland B.
ii) extensive plainland
The river has formed detta mear its mouth-
Angel waterfall formed over-
Hot tropical climate is seen in –
i) south Chile
ii) western Brazil
iii) grassland of Guiana
iv) castern Brazil
iv) eastern Brazil
Season change does not occur in-
i) Savana climate
ii) Equatorial climate
iii) Mountain climate
iv) Cold marine climate
ii) Equatorial climate
State whether True or False : (1 mark for each question)
1. There are 20 countries in South America.
a 2. The main river of South America is Amazon.
3. The highest lake of the world is Aconcagua.
4. The South America is called Latin America.
5. Titicaca is the longest mountain region of the world.
6. Pico-dee-Bandaira is the highest peak located along the coastal zone of Atlantic ocean.
7. Mato grasso plateau lies in Andes mountain.
8. The largest evergreen forest of the world is Selva.
9. Lanos and Pampas are plateau region.
10. Orinoco is the highest water falls.
11. 1100 kmroadway is stretched over Argentina plain.
12. Amazon and orinoco are generated from two different highlands.
13. From south-east the river Uruguay merges with river Parana.
14. The deltaic area of La-Plata is known as Rio-de-la-Plata.
15. La-Plata river falls in Atlantic ocean.
16. The area of Amazon basin is 70,50,00 sqkm.
17. The discharge of water per second is 209,000 cubic metre.
18. There are about more than 1000 tributaris of Amazon.
19. Argentina, the Pampas grassland north east-part of Uruguay belong to temperate climate.
20. Chile belongs to temperate climate.
21. The Western part of Brazil, belongs to hot tropical climate.
22. 3.5 lakh insects and 2 lakh species of trees exist here.
23. Selva forest supplies 30% of earth’s oxygen.
24. The average annual rainfall in Selva is 250-300 cm.
25. The average annual temperature of Selva forest is 26°-27°C.
26. The area of Selva forest is 20,000 sq km.
27. The shape of Pampas region is like a balloon.
28. The two main river of extensive central plain region is Orincco and Amazon.
29. Pampas region is known as the ‘granary of north America’.
30. The main crop of Pampas region is maize.
31. Andes occupies the first place.
32. Depending on agrobased raw material cottage cheese, butter, cheese industries are developed.
33. About 40% sheep is reared in this province.
34. At the foothill of Andes, Cordoba region is famous for dairy industry.
35. Large amount of beef, butter, cottage cheese, cheese, wool, leather, fat are exported to foreign countries.
36. The pasture farm of Pampaus region is called Estansia.
37. Selva forest is called Tropical rain forest.
38. The equator passes through the northern part of South America.
Fill in the blanks : (1 mark for each question)
1. The triangular shaped continent of the Southern hemisphere is the _________ largest countinent.
2. The area of this continent is __________ times greater than India.
3. The desert area is ___________ and __________ region of the world.
4. In the middle of narrow coastal plains of the west __________ desert lies.
5. The Atacama desert is _________ km long.
6. __________ lies to the Amazon river.
7. ____________ lies to the south of Amazon river.
8. The world largest evergreen forest is __________.
9. The northern part of the continent is __________ and the southern part is __________.
10. The climate in the __________ of the northern part remains by seas and ocean.
11. Wet __________ flowing over the Pacific ocean is guarded by Andes mountin.
12. __________ desert is located at the southern part of the continent.
13. Western part of the Andes mountin has turned into __________ area.
14. __________ desert is formed in western part of the continent.
15. South eastern trade wind gets abstructed against,the __________ mountain.
16. __________ 1akh insects and __________ lakh species of trees exist in Selva.
17. Parana and Paraguay merge near Argentina’s capital __________.
18. La-Plata falls into __________ ocean.
19. In evergreen forest the annual rainfall is __________ cm.
20. ______ has occupied the first place in exporting wheat.
21. In evergreen forest live __________,__________,__________ ete.
22. Pampas region is known as the __________ of South America.
23. Besides wheat __________,__________ cte are grown plentifully.
24. The major food erop of this region is __________.
25. Depending on agrobased raw materials __________, __________ industries have been developtet.
26. In Pampas regian __________ and __________ goods are porduced.
3. dry, drought prone
6. Guiana highland
7. Brazilias highland
9. wider, laper
10. intirior, uneffected
13. rain shadow
17. Buenos Aires
21. Anaconda, snake, vampire bats
23. maize, barley
25. flour, sugar
26. animal based, agrobased
Match the column A with column B.
|Column A||Column B|
|a) Andes is||i) world’s largest river|
|b) World’s highest waterfall||ii) is Selva forest|
|c) Titicaca is||iii) near its mouth|
|d) Amazon is||iv) in mineral resourees|
|e) Aconoggua is the||v) is Angel|
|f) World”s Largest evergreen forest||vi) world’s highest lake|
|g) The sizo of Amazon Basin is||vii) world’s largest mountain range|
|h) Orinoco has formed delta||viii) are long and large in volume|
|i) Dampas is poor||ix) 70,50,000 sq km.|
|j) Most of the rivers of South America||x) highest peak of Andes|
a) Andes is world’s largest mountain range.
b) World’s highest waterfall is Angel.
c) Titicaca is world’s highest lake.
d) Amazon is world’s largest river.
e) Aconcagua is the highest peak of Andes.
f) World’s largest evergreen forest is Selva forest.
g) The size of Amazon Basin is 70,50,000 sq km.
h) Orinoco has formed delta near its mouth.
i) Pampas is poor in mineral ręsources.
j) Most of the rivers of South America are long and large in volume.
Very Short Questions & Answers : (1 mark for each question)
Which latitude lies to the north of Sourth America?
12°28′ latitude lies to the north of South America.
What is the major river of South Ameriea?
Answer: Amazon river.
How many countries are there in South America?
Name the famous citios of Sonth Amerien.
Rio-de-janeiro, Santiago, Montevideo, Quito, Bucros Aires.
What is Latin America?
South America, Middle America, Mexico and Caribbean Island are collectivety callled ‘Latin America’.
What is the longest monntain chain of the world?
What is the highest kake of the workl?
What are the first and second highest active valcanoes on the earth?
Mt Chimborajo (6272 m), 2) Cotopaxi (5896 m).
What is the highest waterfalls on the earth?
What is the highest peak of Eastern Highland region? What is its height?
Roraima. Its height is 2769 m.
What is La-Plata river?
The combined channels of Parana, Paraguay and Uruguay is called La-Plata river.
What is the average rainfall of Amazon basin?
What is the area of Selva forest.
What percent of Oxigen is supplied by Selva forest?
What percent of living species is found in Selva forest?
State the location of Selva forest?
Brazil (60%), Peru (13%), Coclombia (10%) and parts of Venezuela, Balivia, Guyana, Surinam and French Guiana.
What types of plants and animals grow in evergreen forest?
Plants : fern, fungus, moss and different types of trees.
Animals : anaconda, snake, terantula, spider, vampire, bats, leeche etc.
Which place has Argentia occupied in wheat production in the world?
What is the main exporting goods of Pampas?
Which goods are exported by Pampas region?
Beef, butter, cottage cheese, cheese, wool, leather, fat etc.
What is known of ‘The granary of South America’?
What is the main food crop of Pampas?
What vegetables are grown in Pampas region?
Maize, barley, sugar cane, cotton, different fruit.
What is Cordoba famous?
For dairy industry.
What is the meaning of the term ‘Pampas’?
The word Pampas means – exclusive plainland.
How is the shape of Pampas region?
It has a shape like the crescent moon.
Where is Pampas grassland located?
Pampas grassland covers most of the Argentina, Urugua and some part of Southern Brazil.
Name two main rivers of Pamupas grassland.
Parana and Paraguay.
What is the average rainfall of Pampas grassland?
Which is ‘The Granary of South America’?
Why grassland of pampas has been destroyed?
For transportation and agricultural purpose.
Short Questions & Answers : (2 marks for each question)
Which industries have grown in Pampas region?
Food processing and other industries have been setup in Pampas region. Based on Cattle powder milk, cheese, cattage cheese, butter, dairy products and meat processing industries have been flourished. Flour, sugar, bakery etc industries have been developed here.
What are different physiographic division of South America?
According to the variation in physical structure the South America is divided into major zones :
- The Western Mountian region.
- Narrow Coastal plains of the West.
- Eastern high land region.
- The extensive central plain.
Give the features of the Drainage of South America?
- Most of the rivers of South America are long and large in volume.
- The rivers are perennial as they are fed by rain and snow.
- Most of the viver originated from Andes mountain.
- Only Orineco has formed delta near its mouth.
Write about the climate of Pampas region.
As the Pampus region lies close to the ocean the weather is pleasant here, the average summer temperature varies from 22°-24°Cand during winter it remain 8°-10°C. Anntal rainfall is 50-100 cm. The rainfall increases from West to East.
Name the source, mouth and tributaries of Amazon river.
Source-Mismi peak of Andes.
Mouth-North Atlantic Ocean.
Tributaries – Jurua, Purus, Xingu, Madeira.
Long Questions & Answers : (3 marks for each question)
Discuss about the Western mountain region of South America:
The Western mountain region of South America lies to the West of the continent and it consists of mainly Andes mountain ranges. It stretches from Caribbean sea in the North to cape Horn in the South. Andes is the longest mountain ranges and second heighest in the world. Aconcagua (6960 m) is the highest peak of Andes. Some inter montane plateaus are located in many places of Andes mountain ranges. They are Balivia, Equador, Peru, Titicaca etc. Titicaca lake (3810 m) is the world’s highest lake lies in this region.
Discuss about the extensive central plain of South America.
The extensive central plain lies between the Western mountain region and Eastern highland. The area of the plain is more than half of the continental area. This region is mainly the basin of the river Orinaco, Amazon and La Plata. This plain is known in different names in different river basin-1) Orinaco river basin, 2) Amazon river basin, 3) Parana-Paraguay rivers basin, 4) La Plata river basin.
Diseuss about the causes of climate variation of South America.
The causes of variation of climate is divided into 5 divisions-:
i) Latitudinal Extent : The equator passes through the northern part of South America and Tropic of Capricon passes through the middle. According to the latitudinal extent 70% of the continent lies in the torried zone and 20% lies in warm temperate zone and 10% in cold temperate zone.
ii) Distance from sea : The northern part of the continent is wider and the lower part tapered. Due to the distance irom sea the northern part remains uneffected by sea and ocean.
iii) Altitude factor: Moisture laden Westerlies flowing over the pacific ocean is guarded by Andesmountain and can not epter into the sothern parts of the continent. So Patagonia desert is located here. Andes mountain, guiana and Brazilis… highlands though located in torrid zone. remains relatively cool throughout the year.
iv) Ocean current : Though located in same latitudes due to warm Brazil current the eastern part of the continent remains warm but western part faces cold weather under the influence of cold peru current.
v) Wind : Atacama desert is formed in the Western part of the continet. South east trade winds are interrupted by Andes mountain resulting a rain shadow area in the Western flanks of the mountain.
Write about the Western Mountain Region of South America.
The western mountain region of South America lies to west of the continent and it consists of mainly Andise mountain ranges. It extends from caribbean sea in the north to Cape Horn in the south. Andes is the longest mountain ranges and second heighest in the world. Aconcagua (6960 m) is the highest peak of Andes. Some inter mountains p!ateaus are located in many places of Andes mountain ranges. They are-Bolivia, Equador. Pere, Titicaca. Titicaca lake (381 m) is the world’s highest lake, lies in this region.
Write about the Narrow Coasta! Plains of ine West of South America.
This region lies between Pacific ocean Coast and Andes mountain ranges. This region extends from north to south stretching all through the West Coast. In the middle of the coastal plain Atacama disert lies which is 1100 kmlong. It is one of the driest and drought prone areas of the world.
Write about the Easte:’ High Land Region of South America.
The eastern high land region lies to the east of south America. The two highlands both are the parts of very ancient landmass. They are as old as Decean plateau of India and Canadian shield of North America. These two highlands are seperated by the Amazon river.
Write about the extensive Central Plain of South America.
The extensive central plain lies between the Western mountain region and Eastern highiand. The area of the plain is more than half of the continental area. This region is mainly the basin of the river Orinaco, Amazon and La Plata. This plain is known in different names in different river basins. Among them Selva is the longer. The world’s largest evergreen forest has grown in the Selva, which is situated at Amazon river basin. This forest is known as Selva forest. On the other hand Llanss and Pampas are originally the grassland.
Write down the location and boundary of pampas region.
Most of Argentina and Uruguay’s area is occupied by the grassland. It also includes a small part of Southern Brazil. It lies between 30°-38°South latitude and 54°to 65°West longitude. In the north lies Gran chaco plains and Brazilian highland in the east Atlantic Ocean. Patagonia Desert is to the Southern boundary and foothills of Andes is the Western limit.
Write down the physiography and drainage of pampas region.
Pampas grassland is made up of soil brought down by the rivers and does soil deposits by aeolian action. Though it is a plain land small hills or hillocks are found at some places. The whole area slants from the foothill of the Andes in the west to the east Atlantic coast. The two major rivers in this region are Parana and Paraguay. They join with each other near the capital of Buenas Aires and their joint channel La-Plata drains out into Atlantic Ocean.
Write about agriculture of Pampas region.
Pampas region is very developed in agriculture. Most of the grassland have been cut down for agriculture and transportation. The fertile alluvial soil, minimum rainfall is favourable for agriculture. The main food crop of the region is wheat. Argentina is the leading producer of wheat It has become leading exporting country of wheat. Besides maize, barley, sugarcane, cotton different types of fruits and vegetables also grow here. Developed machinery is used for cultivation. Now Pampas region is known as ‘The granary of South America’.
Write about mineral resources of Pampas region.
Pampas region is not rich in minerals. So large industry have not been grown here. Sufficient amount of animal based and agro based products are available here. Food processing and other industries have been grown based on these raw materials. Based on animal based raw materials, Milk, cottage cheese, butter, cheesc etc and meat processing industries have been developed. Flour, sugar, bakery industries have been developed based on agro based raw materiais.
Write about the cattle rearing of Pampas region.
Pampas region is favourable for cattle rearing. The pasture farms are called Estansia. The inhabitants rear cattle for meat and milk. The cattlc are reared in the region with more rainfall to the east and sheep are reared in the region with less rainfall to the south-west. Cordoba, at the foothill of Andes, is famous for dairy industry. Mostly cows are reared here for milk, the south-east part of Buenos Aires Provices is the main region of Cattle rearing. Nearly 40% sheep is reared in this province. Large amount of bread, butter, collage cheese, cheese, beef, wool, leather, fat are exported to foreign countries. Argentina occupies the first position in meat cxport.
Mention different climates of South America.
- Equatorial climate
- Savana climate
- Hot tropical climate
- Tropical desert climate
- Mediterranean climate
- Cold marins climate
- Temperate (grassland) climate
- Temperate (desert) climate
- Mountain climate