Detailed explanations in West Bengal Board Class 7 History Book Solutions Chapter 1 The Idea of History offer valuable context and analysis.
WBBSE Class 7 History Chapter 1 Question Answer – The Idea of History
Very Short and short Questions & Answers :
What are the parameters of time in history?
Date, month, year, century and millennium are important in history.
Which parameters of time are less important in history?
Second, minute and hour are less important in history.
What is ‘History’?
History is the study of human past as it is described in written documents left behind by humans.
Why is it important to study history?
The study of history is important because it allows one to make more sense of the present world. One can look at past economic and cultural trends and be able to offer reasonable predictions of what will happen next in today’s world.
What are the sources of history?
Old houses. temples and mosques, statues, coins, paintings, books and scripts are sources of history.
What are the types of sources of history?
There are two main types of historical sources–
- Primary sources,
- Secondary Sources.
What is primary source of history?
Sources contain firsthand knowledge of events and people and essential to a good research project is called primary sources.
What is secondary source of history?
Secondary source is something that was not created first-hand by someone who participated in the historical era.
In how many parts history is divided?
History is divided into three parts :
- medieval and
- modern age.
Why are coin important for the study of medieval period?
Coin tells us about the reigning periods of kings and gives us dates of political events.
It also tells us about the economy of kingdom and trade with other regions.
Why are inscriptions important for the study of medieval period?
Inscriptions are record of royal proclamation, religious instruction and gifts given by rulers. It tells us important events in king’s life. about the people of particular time and narrates the achievements of the king.
Who used the word ‘India’ first?
The word India was first used by the Greek historian Herodotus..
How do historians devide the past into periods?
The fistorians devide the past into periods on the basis of economic and social factors to characterise the maine elements of different moments of the past.
What was considered a ‘foreigner’ in the past?
Any stranger who did not belong to a certain society or culture and was not a part of that particular village was regarded as a foreigner.
Mention some of the technological changes associated with medieval age in India. is
Some technological changes are —
- Use of spinning wheel in weaving.
- Use of Persian wheel in irrigation.
- Use of fire arms in combat.
What were some of the major religious developments during medieval age?
Some religious developments are–
- Worship of new deities.
- Increasing importance of Brahmans, the priests as dominant group of the society.
- The imergence of the idea of Bhakti among people.
- Appearance of many new religions like islam.
In what ways has the meaning of the term ‘Hinduthan’ changed over the centuries?
- In the thirteenth century, the term ‘Hindusthan’ was used for the first time by Minhaj-i-Siraj, a Persian clironicler.
- During the fourteenth century, the term ‘Hind’ was used by Amir Khasru to refer to the culture and people of the Indus river.
- During the early sixteen century, Babar used the term ‘Hindusthan’ to describe the culture, geography and fauna of the inhabitants of the sub-continent.
What was significant changes in governance and politics?
The rulers had to think not only of territorial expansion but also about the well-being of the subjects.
What was significant changes in economic sphere?
There was agriculture on the one hand and commerce on the other hand. New towns were esablished. Forests were cleared to extend cultivation land.
Fill in the blanks : ( 1 mark for each question)
1. ‘Hindusthan’ was used to indicate the whole of ______
2. Inscriptions on copper plates are called _______
3. Inscriptions on stone plaques are called _______
4. Those that are written on paper are called ________
5. People of India came to know of various food item and beverages in ______ period. it
6. Different fields of art were _______ in medieval period.
7. Historians look bits and pieces of _____
8. We do not know the names of the multitude of ______ and ______ who actually built the Taj Mahal.
9. People of medieval period discovered some new avenues in ______ thinking.
10. Historians have divided a long period of time by ______.
State whether True or False : ( 1 mark for each question)
1. In medieval period there was no development in any field.
2. Hindustan was mentioned in Arabic and Persian sources.
3. Many people use the word ‘desh’ to mean their native land.
4. Calculation of stine of great value in history.
5. Everyone likes of bygone days, if they are narrated like stories