Well structured WBBSE Class 9 Physical Science MCQ Questions Chapter 4.5 Separation of Mixtures can serve as a valuable review tool before exams.
Separation of Mixtures Class 9 WBBSE MCQ Questions
Multiple Choice Questions :
Which metal is lighter than water ?
Which non-metal exists in liquid state at room temperature?
Which natural element is hardest ?
Name a substance whose properties are intermediate between metal and non-metal ?
Which gas has the smell of rotten egg?
(ii) Sulphuretted hydrogen
(iii) Carbon dioxide
What is the nature of aqueous solution of NaCl ?
(iv) None of these.
Cite an example where both physical and chemical changes occur ?
(i) Incomplete burning of candle.
(ii) Burning of a magnesium ribbon
(iii) Slaking of lime
(iv) Melting of ice.
Incomplete burning of candle.
Name a non-metal that conducts heat and electricity ?
MnO2 is a catalyst :
(iii) both positive and negative
(iv) none of these
Heating of a platinum wire is a :
(i) physical change
(ii) chemical change
(iii) both physical and chemical change
(iv) none of these.
The boiling point of water is :
(i) 100° C
(ii) -100° C
(iii) 0° C
(iv) 78° C
Which catalyst is used to prepare oxygen from KClO3 ?
(iii) Mn3 O4
(iv) V2 O5
The method to separate sugar from its equeous solution a –
lodine and ethanol can be separated by –
(iv) fractional distillation
Mixture of carbon tetra-chloride and water are separated by using –
(ii) separating funnel
(iv) fractionating column.
Boiling point of a liquid –
(i) decreases with increase of pressure
(ii) boiling point has no effect on pressure
(iii) increases with increase of pressure
(iv) do not always increase with increase of pressure.
Increases with increase of pressure.
The components of crude oil can be separated by –
(i) fractional distillation
(iii) fractional crystallisation
(iv) none of these
Fill in the blanks :
1. Quick lime when treated with water converts to _______ lime.
2. Graphite is _______ to touch.
3. NH4 Cl treated with NaOH liberates _______ gas.
4. Rusting of iron is a _______ change.
5. Both physical and chemical changes occur in burning of _______.
6. _______ is a liquid non-metal.
7. Odour of _______ is pungent.
8. _______ is a metalloid.
9. Snow at the base of a glacier melts due to its heavy _______.
10. _______ is a soft metal.
11. Colour of copper suiphate crystal is _______.
12. Aqueous solution of oxides of some solid _______ are acidic.
13. Being non-metal _______ conducts electricity.
14. Water is added to conc. H2SO4. This is a _______ change.
15. _______ are typically brittle.
16. _______ shows the characteristics of both metais and non-metals.
17. _______ is insoluble in water but soluble in carbon disulphide.
18. Heating of platinum wire is an example of _______ change.
19. Chemical change is _______.
20. Copper sulphate and sulphur are identified by _______.
21. Silver nitrate solution is added to sodium chloride solution to give a curdy white precipitate; the precipitate can be separated from the mixture by a process called _______.
22. Glycerol is distilled under reduced pressure to avoid _______.
23. The suspension of chalk in water can be separated by _______.
24. Kerosene is lighter and immiscible in water, they can be separated by using _______.